These buildings are gone but not forgotten.
The Walker Building, located at the western entrance of Old Town was constructed in 1912 and has been many things over the years. The former Carpenter's Union hall upstairs has been converted to loft apartments and 2 commercial spaces on the main floor.
The Ottawa Power Station located in Downtown Lansing was built in 1939 by the Lansing Board of Water & Light and served the Lansing community with electricity and steam until it was decommissioned in 1992. A portion of the building was used for steam service from 2001-2009 but the building was mostly empty until the collaborative effort from the Accident Fund, Christman Company and the City of Lansing brought it back to life as the new national headquarters for the Accident Fund Insurance Company of America.
This building is really two buildings. The western building was built in 1913 and was originally the home of Korff Manufacturing. I believe Korff was an early innovater in the airplane field. The east building was built in the mid-1920s and was home to Raymond Chevrolet. If you look closely at the 1935 picture you can see a new car for sale in the window of the building. The parking area was originally occupied by a dry cleaning operation from the teens up through the seventies.
Developed in 1924, the Marshall Street Armory was a redevelopment project formerly occupied by the ArmyNational Guard as an assembly hall for “drill training” for the 1st Battalion 119th Field Artillery. It also served as a venue for administrative and equipment storage purposes. The Marshall Street Armory was an active training site until 2005 after which time employees of the Guard and Michigan Department of Military and Veteran Affairs used the facility. In 2008 the building was decommissioned by the military and remained unoccupied until November 2011.
The Lansing Board of Water & Light this week began extensive restoration of the historic, 108-year-old railroad depot in Lansing’s REO Town. The depot rests on the site of the BWL’s planned cogeneration facility, scheduled to go online in July 2013. As part of its urban redevelopment plans for REO Town, the BWL will restore and preserve the former Grand Trunk Western depot.
Kincaid Henry partnered with the NEO Center, a private business incubator group, and the Ingham County Land Bank to create a one-of-a-kind building and alliance in the Mid Michigan region.
Kincaid Henry converted this formerly tax forclosed, Land Bank owned abandoned 1913 building full of long forgotten items. The building is located in the middle of a residential area on Lansing's North side. The building, originally built as an industrial bakery, then used as a print shop for 60 years, was well beyond it's glory days and was in need of major renovation and structural repairs.