The Genesee School is believed to have been built around 1910. It was open and part of the Lansing School District until 1987. Since that time it has been used by many non-profits and neighborhood purposes. The main tenant over the years had been the Black Child & Family Institute. BCFI moved out recently and the building is mostly vacant except for Bridging the Digital Divide and a couple of other non-profits.