Developed in 1924, the Marshall Street Armory was a redevelopment project formerly occupied by the ArmyNational Guard as an assembly hall for “drill training” for the 1st Battalion 119th Field Artillery. It also served as a venue for administrative and equipment storage purposes. The Marshall Street Armory was an active training site until 2005 after which time employees of the Guard and Michigan Department of Military and Veteran Affairs used the facility. In 2008 the building was decommissioned by the military and remained unoccupied until November 2011.
The Armory was historically preserved and retrofitted to serve as a collaborative headquarters for several local nonprofit organizations. This collaborative concept allows them to share facilities and services which promote affordability and efficiency.
Preserving the building was one of the main goals to ensure the historical features remain to “tell a story” for all to enjoy. These are amongst many of the features that remain with the building:
- Performance stage in the gymnasium (private office space with a glass front)
- Large red barn doors on the first floor
- Exterior windows replaced back to their original time period and historic character
- The officers club now functions as a spacious conference room
- The safe room that housed live ammunition serves as a shared training room
- The gymnasium floor remains with the basketball court lines and Major General Vadnais’ name in the entry way. Major General Vadnais is currently the Michigan Director of Military and Veteran Affairs and has been appointed by Michigan’s Governor Rick Snyder as the adjunct general to take command of the Michigan National Guard.
7 Nonprofits are now housed at the Armory, and also includes Gillespie Group’s corporate
- One block from Saginaw Street – located between Michigan Ave. & Saginaw St.
- Directly adjacent to Lansing Catholic High School off of Marshall Street
- South of Pattengill Middle School
- 4.59 acres of land
- 37,000SF building
- Ample on-site parking
- Fully functional commercial grade kitchen